Thursday, May 23, 2013

TING AND I, Tribute to Tina Su Cooper from Nurse Mary Wilkinson

Mary Wilkinson, RN, has been with us for six years. She has given Tina loving care, her warmth and attention to detail permeating all that she does, mixed with her upbeat updates on her three children, who are at the center of her life. She writes:
I first met Tina Cooper in March of 2005. One of the first things I noticed about Tina was her warm, caring smile. The second thing I noticed was all the medical equipment surrounding her that she must live with everyday just to survive. And when I started working as her nurse back in 2005, I really didn’t know how long she would survive. Maybe a few months, I thought to myself, or maybe a year. I had no idea at the time, but I knew in my heart I would do whatever I could as a nurse to help her live the best life she could at that point.

So, time went on, and I learned quickly from speaking with Tina in our little chats that she was indeed someone very special and truly a kind, caring woman with a great heart that was also full of empathy for others. So surprising to see at first–how empathetic Tina would be to other people’s tragedies when the fact was that her situation in itself was tragic, but she never once complained about it. She was and is a true fighter—a very strong-willed individual with a heart of gold.

I have grown to love Tina as a dear friend. Tina and I have enjoyed good conversations together. Through the years, we have laughed often at funny movies. I discovered early on that Tina was a very well-educated, smart woman, but I was also very pleased to see that she shared in my sense of humor, and we would often enjoy each other’s funny stories. After all, laughter is the best medicine, right?

Anyway, it is always wonderful to see Tina smile. She smiles in the face of tragedy. And it can make anyone forget just how tragic the situation really is. I am deeply sorry for what MS has done to her physically. But it has never damaged her amazing spirit. Tina is truly an amazing, wonderful person and I am grateful and honored to be a part of her life. God keep her safe and warm. She is a living angel.

No comments:

Post a Comment