Wednesday, June 17, 2015

7 Questions Answered about Writing and Publishing Your Book with Me


Q: What if you don’t have the time?

A: You will make the time: you and I will meet weekly in person or by telephone for an hour, and you will do a few hours of work on your book between meetings. In another context, when you want to achieve a fitness goal and you hire a personal trainer, you get to the gym on schedule! Think of me as your personal writing/publishing trainer, without push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups..


Q: What if your grammar and spelling are imperfect?

A: You will have my professional help: as your co-author or editor, I will write some and edit some. I have published over 100 technical articles and several books, and my college scores in English were…well, impressive. I’ll be your safety net.


Q: How much will it cost?

A: You should be able to afford it: my charge is $25/week, and we typically need about 40 weeks, thus about $1000. The publisher will require $500-1000 for setting up the paperback book [$150 for the ebook] and typically $5-10 for each book you want printed. You can print as few as 6 or as many as you wish. You will receive any royalties that come from selling the book.


Q: How will your book be sold?

A: The book will be sold on-line through the publisher and through amazon.com and bn.com [Barnes & Noble]. It can be sold as an electronic book [ebook] through similar channels. You can also buy copies at a reduced price and sell them yourself.


Q. Don’t you need an agent to get published?

A: That once was pretty much the case. No longer true. We work with a subsidy publisher [Outskirts Press] that will not reject books submitted by me. With them, I published Ting and I: A Memoir of Love, Courage, and Devotion. Subsequently, I finished and published five more books with first-time authors: The Shield of Gold, Ava Gardner’s Daughter?, High Shoes and Bloomers, But…at What Cost, and Kidnapped Twice . Several more are in preparation.


Q: What about your rights to the book and anything that comes from the book?

A: The publisher we use and I will assure that you retain ALL rights.


Q: How do you get started?

A: Get more information at http://writeyourbookwithme.com and contact me through the contact page. Even more information is available right here on this blog site under May at: “Why Would a Former Harvard Professor…?” http://douglaswinslowcooper.blogspot.com/2015/05/why-would-former-harvard-professor.html


Our first on-on-one session is free, and it will clarify the goals, methods, and potential outcomes of your book project.

Let’s do it!

Douglas Winslow Cooper, Ph.D.

###

No comments:

Post a Comment