Thursday, December 13, 2018

WHAT EVER HAPPENED...? "Clothing with a Message"




Years ago, I actually took time and effort into dressing up and looking good. Nowadays – my favorite thing to wear is sweatshirts and T-shirts with funny sayings on them (when I’m not wearing my Mickey Mouse “wardrobe” or attending a special event). The day I handed this chapter in to my editor, Dr. Cooper, I wore the T-shirt that said: “Grammar Police: to Serve and Protect the English Language,” because my nicknames for him are “Comma King,” and/or “Dr. Comma.” I have learned how infrequently I used commas before I met him! (I write like I talk: run-on sentences.) Here are some of my favorite shirt sayings [with my add-in comments]:
·       Careful, or you’ll end up in my novel [Lots of folks ask me if they’re in my book.]
·       Dinner is ready when the smoke alarm goes off [Purchased when I actually cooked years ago.]
·       Listen and silent have the same letters – coincidence?
·       Messy hair – don’t care
·       Peace. Love. Books.
·       Book Nerd
·       I’m the crazy aunt everybody warned you about [Aiden scolded me if I packed this when we went to Florida to visit my family.]
·       I need my reading time
·       Lord – keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth
·       I have CDO. It’s like OCD, but all the letters are in order like they should be
·       There and Their – They’re not the same [Like a chapter here in this book.]
·       Warning – Extremely Annoying [Worn on days when I’m very agitated.]
·       God is good all the time [front] All the time God is good [back]
·       Keep calm and eat bacon
·       What if I don’t want to keep calm
·       Sassy Lassie [In memory of Grandma McColl, who called me that.]
·       I gave him the skinniest years of my life
·       Red Shirt Fridays – Support Our Troops – Land of the Free Because of the Brave
I also have great aprons with funny sayings (which is humorous in itself since I don’t cook). Here are some of what they have to say:
·       The last time I cooked, hardly anyone got sick!
·       I kiss better than I cook
·       Feast today – shop tomorrow [A Thanksgiving apron.]

Besides clothing and aprons, I also have bracelets, buttons, soap bars, mugs, pillows, blankets, and oh, so much more of things to read each day to cheer me up. Here are some of those…
·       Laugh [A purple bracelet I wore for five years to help me enjoy life more.]
·       Laugh, laugh, laugh… [On a mug to help me the same way the bracelet did.]
·       You are a woman of wisdom, courage, strength, compassion, and creativity
·       Amazing Grace [I sing this song when I sip my coffee or tea from the mug.]
·       Think big!
·       Got milk? [On a mug with a picture of a chocolate chip cookie. It’s my personal law that I need milk each and every time I eat chocolate.]
·       Dog MOM
·       breathe in. breathe out.
·       Professional Marshmallow Roaster [I love s’mores!]
·       Keep your big mouth shut [On a luxury soap bar.]
·       Super Sunday School Teacher [Receiving recognition is so sweet.]
·       Trust in the Lord with all your heart
·       Enjoy the little things and the big things take care of themselves

·       Here lives a wild, wacky, wonderful woman
·       Those who can, teach. Those who cannot, pass laws about teaching
·       I will not obsess! I will not obsess! I will not obsess!
·       God keeps His promises
·       Teachers rule
·       I make grown men cry
·       So many books…so little time.
·       Jesus. Coffee. Bacon. Naps.

Almost everything I own sends a message.




I (Douglas Winslow Cooper) have been excerpting, weekly, material from this almost-final version of the fine book by Janet Johnson Schliff, M.S. Ed., which she wrote over a three-year period with some coaching and editing help from me, through my business, Write Your Book with Me.

Her memoir is now available in paperback and ebook formats from Outskirts Press  and amazon.com



                                              ###

BOOK TALKS AND SIGNINGS


Janet Johnson Schliff spoke at the Oblong Books Bookstore in Rhinebeck, NY, on Tuesday, February 6 at 6 p.m.

Janet was on WKNY Radio 1490 in Kingston, NY, on Thursday, March 1 at 9:10 a.m. 

Janet spoke at Barnes & Noble in Kingston, NY, on Saturday, March 3 at 1 p.m. 

Janet spoke at the Starr Library in Rhinebeck, NY, on March 6 
at 7 p.m. 

Janet spoke at the Golden Notebook Bookstore in Woodstock, NY, on March 17 at 2 p.m.

Janet spoke at the Morton Library in Rhinecliff, NY, on March 28 at 6:30 p.m. 

Janet spoke at RCAL in Kingston, NY, on April 3 at 4 p.m. [They gave her an impromptu book-launch party.]

Janet spoke at the Parkinson's Support Group at the Starr Library in Rhinebeck, NY, on April 4 at 2:30 p.m.

Janet spoke at the Stone Ridge Library in Stone Ridge, NY, on April 27 at 5:30 p.m.

Janet spoke at the Hurley Library in Hurley, NY, on May 4 at 6 p.m.

Janet spoke at the Kingston Library in Kingston, NY, on May 9 at 6 p.m.

Janet spoke at the Staatsburg Library in Staatsburg, NY, on May 14 at 7 p.m.

Janet spoke at the Clinton Community Library in Rhinebeck, NY, on May 31 at 6:30 p.m.

Janet spoke at the Mountain Top Library in Tannersville, NY, on June 9 at noon.

Janet spoke at the Gardiner Library in Gardiner, NY, on June 11 at 7 p.m.

Janet spoke at the Marbletown Community Center in Stone Ridge, NY, on June 20 at 6 p.m.

Janet was interviewed on radio station WTBQ-FM (93.5) on June 29 at 12 p.m.

Janet spoke at the Esopus Library in Port Ewen, NY, on July 13 at 7 p.m.

Janet spoke at the Pine Plains Library in Pine Plains, NY, on July 20 at 6 p.m.

Janet spoke at the Ulster Library in Kingston, NY, on July 23 at 5:30 p.m.

Janet spoke at the Northern Dutchess Bible Church in Red Hook, NY, on August 11 at 1 p.m.

Janet spoke at the Inquiring Minds Bookstore in New Paltz, NY, on September 6 at 7 p.m.

Janet spoke at the Adriance Library in Poughkeepsie, NY, on September 15 at 2:30 p.m.

Janet was interviewed on radio station WRIP-FM (97.9) on September 21 at 8 a.m.

Janet again spoke at the Mountain Top Library in Tannersville, NY, on September 22 at noon.

Janet spoke at the Enchanted Cafe in Red Hook, NY, on September 28 at 7 p.m.

Janet spoke at the Hyde Park Library in Hyde Park, NY, on October 4 at 7 p.m.

Janet participated in an Author Weekend at the Barnes & Noble in Poughkeepsie, NY, on October 14 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Janet spoke at the Tivoli Library in Tivoli, NY, on October 22 at 5:30 p.m.

Janet’s interview for the TV program Wake Up with Marci on the You Too America Channel aired on Monday, November 5, and Friday, November 9. It can now be found on the Internet.

Janet spoke at the Germantown Library in Germantown, NY, on November 7 at 6:00 p.m.

Janet participated in the Red Hook Middle School's College and Career Cafe in Red Hook, NY,  on December 19 at 10:30 a.m.



More signings will be coming up. A fine feature about Janet by John DeSantos [845 LIFE] appeared in the Middletown Times Herald-Record on Monday, March 12, as part of Brain Injury Awareness Month. An article about her book was just published in the May 2018 Living Rhinebeck Magazine. An article about her book appeared in the May 14 Daily Freeman of Kingston, NY. and another in the Family Life section of the Poughkeepsie Journal on June 8th. The Millerton News published an article on Thursday, August 2, about her talk at the Pine Plains Library. 






No comments:

Post a Comment