Sunday, October 3, 2021

Two Personal Milestones

 

Dear Family and Friends,

 

Tina was more alert than usual today, and so this afternoon, we got her out of bed and into her wheelchair to go to the kitchen to watch TV with me and get her teeth brushed.

Because she had tried to speak a week ago while in the hospital, we deflated the trach cuff,  to allow her to make sounds if she wished. We said, “Hello. Say ‘hello.’” And Tina said, “Hello,” in a raspy but understandable voice. On the way to the kitchen, I gave her some program choices, and she said, “Home and Garden.”  Then she added, “I love you with all my heart.” I was amazed and pleased, as this challenging year could easily have made her resent our inability to do more for her, and we seldom see her smile.

This afternoon, for the first time in several years, I was able to walk the one-mile road around the lake, courtesy of the skill of the Hospital for Special Surgery surgeons (Dr. Windsor and Dr. Gausden) who did my two hip replacements. (Colette accompanied me and protected me from possible assailants, none of whom dared show up.)

We persevere and advance.

 Love,

Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment