Saturday, October 20, 2018

"I love this movie!"




My wife of 34 years, Tina Su Cooper, and I often watch television together in the afternoon in our kitchen, as I sit beside her wheelchair. She has been unable to walk for 24 years, quadriplegic and ventilator-dependent for the past 14. Yet, she has not lost her will to live, her joy in life, nor her love.

As we watched a romantic movie on the Hallmark Channel, I kissed her and said our life together had been like a romantic movie, too. She nodded and said yes it had.

She can hardly speak, due to multiple sclerosis, and does not have the brilliant intellect she once had, so we are always pleased when she can tell us what she is thinking, though she rarely volunteers it. More often, she will give a short answer, and only if asked a question.

We watched the movie for several more minutes, then she said to me, “I love this movie!”

“Do you mean the Hallmark movie or ours?” I asked.

Smiling, she replied, “Us.”



Douglas Winslow Cooper, Ph.D.



No comments:

Post a Comment