Sunday, July 8, 2018

WHAT EVER HAPPENED...? My Friends


         
When I thought of this chapter, I had to include some people who “get me” and have been there for me, no matter what. And then there are others who helped me when I was sick with the latent brain tumor, but I have lost a connection with them gradually since its removal. The disconnect is partly due to my behavior and, in a couple of cases, partly because of theirs.  But they still did help me. The friends listed below deserve my eternal thanks and love:

·       Maggie Rothwell – As you can read in her contribution here, Maggie and I have known each other for more than three decades now. She has this incredible ability to see me for who I was and who I now am.  She’s so gifted in pointing out my accomplishments when all I can do sometimes is find my flaws. She’s the sweetest friend. I admire her musical talents and how they have provided me with calmness. I love her more than words can say! She’s an excellent listener and never passes judgment. I truly listen to her advice and suggestions. She is a gift from God. At the time of this writing, I went to listen to her play guitar and sing at one of her many gigs. The floor got wet since rain was tracked in by other restaurant patrons. As I stood up to go to the restroom, Maggie, mid-song and on the microphone, said, “Be careful – don’t slip,” to me because she knows that I lose my balance. I cried on the walk to the restroom. Those were happy tears for having such a dear friend.

·       Ilse Fenwick – I know Ilse from my church. She, like Maggie, is such a wonderful listener. She helps me refocus on God when I stray from Him during my difficult times. I listen to her when she offers a different perspective on lots of topics. She has brought me closer to God in her loveable mannerisms. She sends me cards when I need uplifting. She researches books for me to read when I can’t find them in bookstores. She actually pays for them until I can pay her back. Is that a friend, or what? I’ve been to her beautiful home for her helpful counseling. It was there that she told me that I feel worse than it appears I do to others, but I’m further along than I think I am. At one of the many Bible studies I’ve attended with her, I heard many stories from other women about how great a helper she is. That’s my Ilse! She’s another gift from God. And, she’s such a sweetheart, she’s invited me over on Thanksgivings and Christmases so I wouldn’t be alone. I took her up on it Christmas night of 2016. That was the only fun I had on that very dismal day, described elsewhere here, even though Christmas is supposed to be a happy time.

·       Marian Palmadessa  – She took such great care of me when I had the mysophobia. She invited me into her home to feed me because I was so scared of germs I could hardly put a fork to my mouth. She would wash the silverware right in front of me, lay paper towels over her table and chairs, etc. and etc. I was wasting away to an unsafe weight, so she fed me when I could not do it. She and I had lots of other fun times together. She’s a sweet person to whom I will forever be grateful for her assistance and love when I was sick. I love when we get to spend some time together. I also love the cards she sends me, especially for Mother’s Day, a “thinking of you” card (because she knows how sad I am on this day). And, she gives me leftovers sometimes, because she knows I can’t cook anymore.

To give you an idea about what a good friend Marian has been, I’m adding here the recommendation she filled out for me for when I was applying for a Youth Ministry position at my church in 2009. The questions are in italics, her responses in normal type.
1.    How long have you known this applicant? 4 years in December ‘09

2.    In what capacity or under what circumstances have you known the applicant? Have you ever observed that applicant working with children? How would you describe those interactions? Janet Schliff is my neighbor. She lives 3 units away from me. We met in December 2005, picking up our mail. She introduced herself and we exchanged phone numbers. I told her any questions regarding our rules etc. in the W*** Townhomes, not to hesitate to call me.

As time passed, we became close friends and she was invited to our home for dinner quite often.

Janet is so proud of her teaching career. She taught Special Ed. children for 25 years. In 1992 she received an Excellence in Teaching award. She also taught reading classes to other teachers….

3.    Has the applicant, to your knowledge, been involved in any incident or activity which might disqualify them from working with children? If so, please describe the incident or behavior. Absolutely not!

4.    Would you recommend the applicant be allowed to work with children or teens? Would you allow the applicant to be responsible for your children? Yes to both questions. As far as I am concerned, Janet Schliff is a Modern Day Miracle from God! The night before her surgery, she called me saying how frightened she was and would I please pray for her. I told her she was a good woman and that God would take care of her. The following day, she called me again, and I went into shock that so soon after her surgery, she could call me, speak so clearly and tell me the mysophobia was gone, along with the tumor the size of an orange!

The majority of her past students…so loved her most of them have been in touch with her in one way or another to tell her how happy they are for her.

·       Sandy Evans  – We met at church, and I will always be grateful to her, for helping me when I could hardly help myself. When I was germ-phobic, I heard a DJ on the radio say that movie theatres and church pews were dirty. So – I stood at the back of our church because I was afraid to sit down. Sandy placed jackets down after I told her what was wrong. She sat with me during services. She listens to me rant and rave about various topics. We both have a lot of medical issues, and so it’s hard to be there for one another, but I know she helps me when she can. I believe God placed her in that church to help me and others. And to this day, she sits near me at meetings to help me keep calm and help me express things I’m scared to bring up.

And here are some more:

·       Suzi – I referenced Suzi in the chapter I wrote about helpful businesses because of her daughter Jaime’s lovely behavior towards her store customers. Suzi is also someone I met at church. I’ve been to her lovely home for various Bible studies. I attended a group she taught at church about grieving, after my dad passed away. She has a warm heart and a gracious spirit. She helped lead my then-boyfriend Aiden and me to a wonderful counselor when our relationship was in jeopardy. She has sent me helpful emails. Suzi just knows when to do or say the right thing right when it’s needed the most. Another gift from God.

·       Jim – He was the man I dated before I met Aiden. He was so patient with me when I was the sickest I’ve ever been. That tumor was huge at this point in my life, but we didn’t know it then. What I did know is that Jim helped me with the household chores I could not do for myself – like taking out the garbage, since touching cans and bags was impossible for me when I was petrified of germs. He helped me complete paperwork and make out my checks because my memory was terrible due to the brain damage caused by the tumor. I appreciate how he led me in the right direction often and helped me make many decisions. I’m sure there’s much more that he did for me than I actually can remember, so I will be forever grateful to him for his kindness. To this day I feel guilty about not “being there” for him as he was for me….

          And, I also have a bunch of friends who have helped me with various things through the story of my life. Here’s to some of them:

·       Ellen – a friend I’ve kept in contact with since we roomed together in a dorm at SUNY Plattsburgh almost 40 years ago. She has the sweetest family, and I love traveling out of town to their celebrations for graduations, weddings, anniversaries, etc. I also love talking with her over the phone because she always asks me how I am doing. Her parents did an excellent job raising her to be a loving person!

·       Marla – As you can read from her contribution here, Marla and I were colleagues over 25 years ago at Ulster County BOCES. Our friendship began then and has remained. She’s very good at inviting me to retirement and end-of-the-year parties. I also get together with her and our mutual friend, Beverly, whom we used to work with. Catching up on our lives is always a pleasure.

·       Debbie One – I have four Debbies as friends. The first one I met about two decades ago when she worked in one of my classrooms. She’s a sweetheart and was very patient with being a one-on-one aide for a special needs child. I love bumping into her about once a month at her current job.

·       Debbie Two – The second Debbie I met just a few years ago at church. She’s been a wonderful listener. She has sent me texts and cards with God’s word, and they are very helpful. She gave me permission for me to use her name and phone number on a card in my wallet to explain my condition to, for example, a police officer. She is now my emergency contact. I’ve called her numerous times in total distress, and she ALWAYS calms me down. Her family is very sweet to be around. [And – she makes the BEST mac and cheese I’ve ever had…and she’ll even fry me some bacon as well!]

·       Debbie Three – Another Debbie I met at my church. She too listens very well to me and drives me to doctor appointments when I can’t. Visits to her house are delicious!

·       Debbie Four – This is the Debbie I wrote about in another chapter. She’s gone from being not only my reflexologist, but also to being my friend.

·       Joey – She is an excellent cook, and she prepares food for me. I love seeing her at my church.

·       Linda, Joyce, Allison, Margo, Henry, Janet, Donna, Juanita, Bea, Lenny, Otto, and Louise – I used to know some of them when I was very young. We now meet up at a fundraiser luncheon. All of us meet there monthly when we can, and I enjoy their friendliness. [Since these luncheons are held in a parish hall of a church, I really should “duct tape” my mouth sometimes! My lack of a “filter” causes embarrassing conversations from time to time.]

·       Barbara and Kim – I’ve met these two women through sad circumstances, but we have formed a bond. Barbara’s sister, Sue, had a brain injury, and thus Barbara attended a support group with me. Kim’s husband, Terry, suffered a brain injury, and I met Kim through Barbara. Kim, Barbara, and I, at the time of this writing, travel to meetings with “mucky-mucks” (my word for politicians in the New York State capital, Albany) to discuss the needs of others for legislation for the brain-injured. Our personalities are very different from one another but we get the job done. Kim has a calming effect on me. She reads my body language very well. Barbara has spent a lot of time going through her sister Sue’s belongings after Sue died from that brain injury. Kim is now grieving the sudden death of her husband. (Rest in peace, Sue and Terry.) On a more upbeat note, Barbara’s digging through her sister’s stuff has helped her discover various Mickey Mouse items and she gives them to me, which I appreciate. Barbara and her husband even made me a T-shirt and a sweatshirt with wording to help me calm down when others asked me why this book wasn’t finished by 2016 (as my business card said it would be). The shirts said:

          My Book?

          Believe me,
          when it’s finished…
          you’ll know!

AND

          My Book?
         
          Rivers know this:
          There is no hurry
          We shall get there some day
                             
                              Winnie the Pooh

[And one piece of advice I’d give anyone who’s writing a book for the first time: don’t talk about it right away. I did talk too soon, and non-writers were frequently stressing me out about my timing. Begin to discuss your book a bit later on in your writing process….]

·       Jan – This Jan is “Jan Nails” (because I have another friend named Jan). I met her so many years ago. When she lived in Dutchess County, NY, I went to her house for manicures. Since she’s moved to the Carolinas, we speak every once in a while and send cards to each other. When we speak, it’s like we’ve never had time or distance between us!

·       “The girls” – Cathy, Caroline, Barb, Webby, Doris, Monica, Jan, Shirley, Sally, and Lil – Our get-togethers over the years for birthdays, holidays and other things have been a nice break from my busy schedule. We also have supported each other with our various hospital stays. (Rest in peace, Lil.)

     And, like most people, I have many other friends whom I speak to once in a while, send and/or receive Christmas and birthday cards to/from and whom I appreciate knowing. Also, I’ve made some new friends when I travel to Hyde Park, NY, for their many fun activities there, such as: the Fourth of July Parade, Cranberry’s bistro and bake shop’s delicious scones that I eat at the Vanderbilt Mansion with my dog Happy, Fireside Chats and Mother’s Day Teas that are held at the St. James Church and the nearby Mills Mansion in Staatsburg.

Friends make life more bearable. I’m lucky to have the friends I have….

[Once, in September 2016, when I attended a retired teachers' breakfast to celebrate that we had that first day of school off, I was rudely spoken to by a former colleague and, boy, did I let her have it! We had both recently been to another colleague's funeral, and I was politely telling her why I had to leave that funeral early (because I was too upset). Instead of responding with warmth, she coldly said, “You shouldn't have left – it was a beautiful service.”

Do you live in my head? I was taking care of myself by leaving that funeral. So, I rudely responded, “I don't think wouldas, couldas, shouldas are appropriate. Since I have a brain injury, I leave when I'm about to lose it.”

My tone of voice was really snotty, and once again my friend Marla (who was sitting right next to me), “pulled me back” with her warmth.

Later, at the same breakfast, I heard some stories about my behavior when I had the tumor. I was glad I was done eating and left with only saying goodbye to a couple of friends. On my way out the door, my friend Karen asked me if I was okay. Though I said I was, I really wasn't. She had picked up on my upset.

Friends are so loving and they can detect when you're not “right.” Thank God for my friends who “get me.” Thank you to all of my friends who have shown me love and warmth.


I just wish people would be more careful how they judge others. At least I know I have to work on that. I'm not sure that some others know they need to also.]







For the coming year, I [Douglas Winslow Cooper] will be
excerpting, weekly, material from this almost-final version of the fine book by Janet Johnson Schliff, M.S. Ed., which she wrote over a three-year period with some coaching and editing help from me, through my business, Write Your Book with Me.

Her memoir is now available in paperback and ebook formats from Outskirts Press  and amazon.com



                                              ###


BOOK TALKS AND SIGNINGS

Janet Johnson Schliff was on WKNY  Radio 1490 at 9:10 a.m. on Thursday, March 1, Kingston, NY.

Janet spoke at 1 p.m. on Saturday, March 3 at Barnes & Noble in Kingston, NY. I [DWC] attended, along with about 40 other people. Congratulations to Janet on a fine talk!

Janet Johnson Schliff spoke at the Starr Library in Rhinebeck, NY, at 7 p.m. on March 6. 


She spoke at the Golden Notebook Bookstore in Woodstock, NY, at 2 p.m. on March 17. 


She spoke at the Morton Library in Rhinecliff, NY, at 6:30 p.m. on March 28. 


She spoke at RCAL in Kingston, NY, at 4 p.m. on April 3. I was able to attend. They gave her an impromptu book-launch party.

On 4/4/18 Janet spoke at the Parkinson's Support Group at the Starr Library at Rhinebeck at 2:30 p.m.

On 4/27/18 Janet spoke at the Stone Ridge Library at 5:30 p.m.

On 5/4/18 Janet spoke at the Hurley Library at 6 p.m.

On 5/9/18 Janet spoke at the Kingston Library at 6 p.m.

On 5/14/18 Janet spoke at the Staatsburg Library at 7 p.m.

On 5/31/18 Janet spoke at the Clinton Community Library at 6:30 p.m.


On 6/9/18 Janet spoke at the Tannersville Mountain Top Library at noon.

On 6/11/18 Janet spoke at the Gardiner Library at 7 p.m.


On 6/20/18 Janet spoke at the Marbletown Community Center at 6 p.m.


On 7/13/18 Janet spoke at the Esopus Library at 7 p.m.

On 7/20/18 Janet will be at the Pine Plains Library at 6 p.m.


On 7/23/18 Janet will be at the Ulster Library at 5:30 p.m.


On 8/11/18 Janet will be at the Northern Dutchess Bible Church in Red Hook at 1:00 p.m.

On 9/06/18 Janet will be at the Inquiring Minds Bookstore in New Paltz at 7 p.m.


On 9/22/18 Janet will again be at the Tannersville Mountain Top Library, at noon.

More signings will be coming up. A fine feature about Janet by John DeSantos [845 LIFE] appeared in the Middletown Times Herald-Record on Monday, March 12, as part of Brain Injury Awareness Month. An article about her book was just published in the May 2018 Living Rhinebeck Magazine. An article about her book appeared in the May 14 Daily Freeman of Kingston, NY. and another in the Family Life section of the Poughkeepsie Journal on June 8th.








No comments:

Post a Comment