Friday, October 18, 2019

GOOD GRIEF, Laugh, a Poem




Good Grief: Strategies for Building Resilience and Supporting TransformationDon’t make me laugh I’ve often said,
I’ll pee my pants or wet my bed.
So I stay still and keep real stiff
As I cross my legs and do not shift.
Yet it creeps forth unwillingly
This joyous sound of laughing glee.
Is laughter worth the price of pee?
Yes, I wholeheartedly agree.

Don’t make me laugh I’ve often said
I need my sorrow, pain and dread.
So deep inside I seal up tight
As I grasp each piece with all my might.
But then a whisper of mirth I hear
Bursts through the heartache and the fear.
Against my wishes, I smile and laugh.
Yes, laughter will be my epitaph.

           Cheryl A. Barrett, 11/15/2017


###

With her permission, I am serializing here near-final material from nurse Cheryl Barrett's valuable book on transcending grief. I had the pleasure of being her coach and editor through my Write Your Book with Me enterprise. 

Douglas Winslow Cooper, PhD


Perhaps the easiest way to obtain a copy of her book, published by Outskirts Press, is through this Amazon link: 





No comments:

Post a Comment